We're looking for a person experienced with data science at scale in fast moving companies – to help others do the same.
What’s the opportunity? :thinking_face:
Avo is a startup in Iceland, partly based in San Francisco. We believe that fast moving companies can do data science in a more rewarding and efficient way, so we are on a mission to change the best practices in analytics. We build products that prevent the two biggest problems in data; irrelevance and incorrectness.
In addition to our products, we are building an international knowledge sharing community. Amazing companies all over the world are doing amazing data science at scale. We want to make sure best practices are being shared.
Come and join us, to help fast moving companies do data science in a more rewarding and efficient way.
What will I be doing? :rocket:
- Be in direct contact with our customers to learn how they do data science, and continuously understand how we can help them optimize it.
- Be proactive in finding and contacting companies that do impressive data science, and find the individuals who are willing to knowledge share.
- Contribute as a writer, interviewer, and reviewer of our blog, Twitter, conference talks, podcasts, videos, tutorials, best practices, documentations, etc.
- Be proactive in maintaining expertise in product analytics and data science by knowing the latest, who the influencers are, finding credible conferences, etc.
- Be an expert in trending methods in data gathering, processing, and visualization, to be able to provide relevant insights and thoughts in our knowledge sharing community, and to be able to contribute to the Avo product development.
- Have or develop a vision for how we at Avo can develop our digital products to help companies do data science in a more rewarding and efficient way.
- Understand the Avo products. Design and implement reports that track key business metrics and provide actionable insights. Be willing to communicate findings.
- Be willing and able to answer questions by using appropriate statistical techniques on available data.
- Always be improving.
What skills do I need? :book:
- Excellent communication skills, with ability and passion for understanding people’s needs.
- Experience with data science at scale in a fast moving company; preferably many different companies.
- Experience with event based analytics data.
- Experience with broken data and miscommunication around data gathering and analytics.
- Experience manipulating and analyzing large data sets from varying sources.
- Passion and experience for solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches, while realising that qualitative solutions are sometimes a more relevant approach.
- Ability to convey and communicate results and learnings in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Experience with analytics and computational tools, such as Python, Python's Pandas, R, Jupyter Notebooks, Qlik, Tableau, Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, Data Studio, Hadoop, Spark, etc.
- Experience with analytics and experimentation tools that help companies optimize their products, such as Amplitude, Mixpanel, Heap, Pendo, Optimizely, Leanplum, etc.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL.
- Familiarity with distributed system technologies such as Hadoop or Redshift.
What do I get? :heart_eyes:
- Join a high performance, fast moving, international startup with amazing people.
- Learn a lot. Grow with us.
- Company culture of mutual respect, no politics, all hands on deck, and shared responsibility.
- Teammates that care about continuous improvement of themselves and each other.
- Nice office in downtown Reykjavik.
- A Slack channel dedicated to #cutestuff.
How to I apply? :writing_hand:
- Help us understand why you’re interested in joining Avo, why we’re a good fit for each other, and why you’d help us help others do data science in a more rewarding and efficient way.
- Share your CV that includes a list of previous jobs, interests and available references.
- Make sure to include your relevant online profiles (Twitter, Fb, GitHub, or whatever you find relevant for us).